March 27, 2009

making a name for myself (i think)

No big surprise...I love silver jewelry. Also no big surprise...I love to be comfortable. Give me a pair of great jeans, a cup of coffee, and I'll be kicking my bare feet up on the ottoman with a smile on my face.

Back to the jewelry...I found myself constantly searching for (but rarely finding) the next "perfect" pair of go-to earrings. I was frustrated that I couldn't find something my style...for under $20. So, when my friend Tracy told me all about the earrings she was making (awesome work, btw! www.limegreenmodern.etsy.com), I thought "hmmm...maybe I should look into this". Dilemma solved! I've been buying up beads like they're going out of style (don't tell my husband), and toiling away into the wee hours of the night trying to perfect the "Simple Loop" technique - which, once perfected, really is simple. X-hundred of dollars later, I thought "hmmm...maybe I should consider putting my designs on the internet, and try to recoup some of my investment". Dilemma solved! I created a site on Etsy (thanks for the great tips, Tracy!) and have even managed a few sales.

I'm now discovering what an amazing amount of time and energy it takes to market, promote, design and research...all in an effort to share my designs...and, yes, hopefully recoup a tiny bit of my investment. This is going to be a journey...and I can't wait to see where I land in a year.

1 comment:

  1. Ah...the simple loop technique. And I can definitely relate to the late night hours! I am now following your blog :-)...thanks for mentioning me!

    ReplyDelete